The development of the Implementation Programme has been influenced by the following view of FAS VFR user priorities:
- Improvements to safety.
- Rebalancing the policies and procedures of the Airspace Change Process to take better account of the needs of VFR users.
- Adoption of measures of efficient use of airspace.
- Increasing regulatory protection of existing areas of Class G airspace significant to VFR users.
- Development of an efficient process to downgrade regulated airspace for short or medium term periods.
- Decommissioning controlled and restricted airspace that is no longer required.
- Switching away from the use of controlled and restricted airspace mechanisms to other means of delivering a known environment.
- Enabling greater and more predictable access to controlled airspace for VFR users.
- Improving efficiency, sustainability and environmental aspects of VFR flight.